Custodian (Multiple Openings)
Responsible for cleaning all campus facilities to a standard of excellence which results in a safe, aesthetically pleasing, and environmentally friendly learning center for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
• Complete all assigned tasks within the parameters established for the assigned area of responsibility. Those tasks include but are not limited to: emptying waste baskets, sweeping, mopping and/or vacuuming floors and fabric covered furniture, dusting all horizontal surfaces, cleaning entire restroom, refilling soap, towel and tissue dispensers, spot cleaning walls and other surfaces, cleaning windows, cleaning and polishing bright metal, disinfecting telephones, door handles, and other surfaces as needed.
• Assist with special event set ups and take downs.
• Complete assignments with minimal supervision within time allotted.
• Demonstrate and meet expectations in performance attributes designated as critical: customer service, initiative, quality of work and timeliness of work.
• Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
• Serve on college committees as needed.
• Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Addressing cleaning concerns
• Daily: Head Custodian and Supervisor regarding updates
• Daily: Administrative Assistants regarding cleaning issues and updates
• Daily: Event Scheduler and visitors regarding room arrangements
• Daily: faculty, staff, students and visitors regarding cleaning needs
• High School diploma or GED certificate
• 1 year of custodial experience in a commercial environment, preferably an educational facility.
• Knowledge of safety procedures (including OSHA) to ensure that safe working conditions are maintained as well as a high degree of attention needed to prevent injury to self and others.
• Ability to complete the assigned tasks within time allotted coupled with workmanship which meets or exceeds established quality standards.
• Ability to push, pull, stoop, bend, climb, stand, and walk as required to perform assigned duties.
• Ability to work equally well independently or as a team member with minimal supervision.
• Ability to lift bulky items up to 50 pounds.
• Knowledge of basic principles of personal computer use.
• Ability to complete assigned tasks as required while concurrently providing the employees and students with a level of customer service which reflects positively upon the college.
• Ability and willingness to work any shift and at any campus as assigned.
• Ability to work indoors and outdoors year-round in any weather conditions.
• Requires kneeling, crawling, bending, turning and reaching. Also requires climbing stairs and ladders, balancing, as well as physical exertion to manually move lift, carry pull and push heavy objects or materials.
• Due to nature of job, an acceptable nation wide background report is required.
• Possession of a valid North Carolina Driver’s License and acceptable driving record is required.
• Participation and successful completion of federal, state, or locally required training included but not limited to Blood borne Pathogens, HAZMAT, Chemical Safety, Emergency Action Plans, Asbestos Awareness, Emergency Equipment (fire Ext.), First Aid, PPE, Reporting Practices, Anti-Harassment, Personal Information Protection Training is mandatory.
The following (compliance) training is required and must be completed within the first 30 days of hire with annual refresher training thereafter:
• Safety/Shooter on Campus
• Personal Information Protection Training (PIP)
• Anti-Discrimination/Harassment & Title IX
• Other training may be required as determined applicable.
Physical Activity: Significant climbing and or crawling
Environmental Hazard(s): 15-30%