Instructor, Air-Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration - Adjunct
Teaching faculty at Guilford Technical Community College are responsible for supporting student success by creating an optimum learning environment, responding to student needs, managing effective instructional activities, developing curriculum courses, modeling employability skills, demonstrating professionalism, developing cooperative work relationships with other faculty and staff, supporting college administrative requirements, and maintaining competency in their instructional field. S/he will be responsible for quality instruction and for effective participation and interest in the total affairs of the college.
Under general supervision, this individual will develop, prepare and teach Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration courses designed for career technical programs while caring for and maintaining the labs/facilities. The faculty member must be able to instruct a wide variety of topics within the curriculum in a laboratory environment and may be required to teach day, evening and/or weekend hours.
Prepare & teach departmental courses to include:
• developing learner centered lesson plans
• employing teaching strategies & instructional materials for different learning styles
• incorporating, as pedagogically appropriate, current technology in classroom, distance learning and laboratory environments
• creating and modeling a quality learning environment that supports a diverse student population
• preparing, distributing and utilizing instructional support materials, including course syllabi, supplementary materials, instructional media and other devices as appropriate
• developing, conducting and documenting appropriate assessment of student learning outcomes in courses and programs/general education as appropriate
Maintain a professional status that supports the instructional mission by:
• participating in professional development activities to maintain currency in field; maintaining current credentials or licensures as required by program or accreditation
• participating in professional development opportunities to advance teaching skills and strategies
Provide daily & ongoing oversight of facilities, equipment and student records to include:
• maintaining classroom and laboratory spaces including upkeep of assigned equipment
• providing for the security of facilities, equipment and instructional materials and maintaining safe working conditions
• maintaining student records (e.g., grades and attendance) in accordance with established deadlines using a variety of technology-based programs (e.g., Colleague, WebAdvisor, Moodle)
• complying with all applicable college, state and federal rules and regulations
Provide an environment conducive to student success to include:
• promoting retention/persistence by assisting students to develop strategies for success
• referring students to campus and community resources when appropriate
• Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
Additional Duties and Responsibiities:
• Maintain student records.
• Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
-Associate of Applied Science degree in Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC) or related field from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution.
-Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution.
-Chloro Fluoro Carbon (CFC) certification or ability to obtain one within 6 months.
-North Carolina Mechanical Contractor’s license
-3 years of relevant industry experience as a HVAC Technician.
-Greater than 3 years of relevant industry experience as a HVAC Technician.
-Post-secondary teaching experience and/or industry training experience.
-Experience with assessment of student learning outcomes
-Experience with distance learning and/or alternate instructional delivery systems
The Instructor shall possess an understanding of and commitment to the nature and role of the Community College, particularly its “open door” policy. He/she shall have demonstrated personal and professional competence for the responsibilities assigned. The Instructor must be able to:
2. Respect Diversity
3. Adapt to changing procedures, protocols or assignments.
4. Create and maintain a learner centered environment
5. Communicate effectively
6. Ability to effectively implement and apply technology solutions.
Departmental Job Specific Requirements:
Mandatory GTCC Trainings (upon initial hire) and annual updates as required; other required trainings may be added as needed):
1. Reporting Requirements
2. Discrimination & Anti-Harassment (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
3. Shooter on Campus (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
4. Personal Information Protection (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
5. Ethics and Social Responsibility (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
6. elearning Level One (before the first day of the first semester teaching)
7. eLearning Levels Two and Three for instructors who teach online or hybrid delivery methods (before the first day of the first semester teaching)
1. May include teaching day and evening and on multiple campuses
2. Teaching schedule may change semester to semester
Criminal history checks, with acceptable results, are required.