Instructor, Surgical Technology - Adjunct
Teaching faculty at Guilford Technical Community College are responsible for supporting student success by creating an optimum learning environment, responding to student needs, managing effective instructional activities, modeling employability skills, demonstrating professionalism, developing cooperative work relationships with other faculty and staff, supporting college administrative requirements, and maintaining competency in their instructional field. He/she will be responsible for quality instruction in classroom, lab, and clinical for effective participation, and interest in the total affairs of the college.
Prepare & teach departmental courses to include:
· updating course syllabi
· developing learner centered lesson plans
· employing teaching strategies & instructional materials for different learning styles
· developing appropriate assessment methods
· staying current in teaching discipline
· seeking professional development opportunities
Provide daily & ongoing oversight of facilities and equipment to include:
· maintaining classroom and lab spaces
· upkeep and care of equipment as assigned
Provide an environment conducive to student success to include:
· address student concerns
· assisting students to develop strategies for success
· referral of students to campus and community resources.
Support college-wide endeavors to include:
· comply with college, state, and federal rules and regulations
· Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
A. Education – The adjunct faculty member will have the educational background needed to meet accreditation/approval, certification, and departmental requirements, as follows:
1. Educational level: graduation from an accredited Surgical Technology program
2. Certifications: certification through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting
B. For Clinical Instructor, a Surgical Technology Diploma is acceptable since the courses are in only the diploma program.
Associate degree from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution.
Have a minimum total of two years of experience, either in the operating room scrub role or as an instructor in surgical technology, or a combination of both, within the past five years.
The Instructor shall possess an understanding of and commitment to the nature and role of the Community College, particularly its “open door” policy. He/she shall have demonstrated personal and professional competence for the responsibilities assigned. The Instructor must be able to:
2. Demonstrate PC (personal computer) literacy
3. Respect Diversity
4. Adapt to changing procedures, protocols or assignments.
5. Create and maintain a learner centered environment
6. Communicate effectively
Departmental/Job Specific Requirements:
CPR at provider level
Satisfactory completion of any/all mandatory GTCC Trainings (upon initial hire and annual updates as required; other required trainings may be added as needed) within prescribed timeline is a must:
Additional Duties & Responsibilities:· Maintain student records. · Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
Upon employment and within first 30 days of hire, must complete the following college training matrix but not limited to: Discrimination & Anti-Harassment; Personal Information Protection (PIP); Ethics, and “Shooter on Campus.” Annual refreshers are required thereafter.
1. Typical settings specific to discipline classroom, lab, or clinical instruction.
2. Stand extended periods of time (up to 4-hour blocks).